Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Megan's eternal decision

Since I just posted on Megan's 7th birthday, i wanted to share Megan's biggest decision she made in the year before her 7th birthday.  On June 12th, 2015, she trusted Christ as her Savior.  I have to say  as a parent this is the hardest subject I have had to counsel on from the standpoint that we as parents  never wanted to push her into a decision just to please us or with her not adequately understanding.  We desire that her salvation decision is something that she doesn't struggle with later in life or can't quite remember.  All that to say, we often spoke the Gospel to Megan and when she asked questions, we answered them, but we never pushed her to "get saved".  Up until maybe a month before June 12th, she would say that she was saved when we talked about the Gospel and trusting Christ as Savior.  Neither Tim nor I had ever personally questioned her about when she was saved or any other specifics.  We realized that one can trust Jesus as Savior without praying a prayer. It is not the prayer that saves a person, but by believing in one's heart.  We just left the work to the Holy Spirit in dealing with her own salvation.  Who were we to say if she was truly believing in Jesus as her Savior or not?

A couple of weeks before June 12th, we were dealing with a discipline issue, and I was talking to her about the Gospel. I asked her if she had trusted Christ as her Savior, and she responded with an "I don't know".  She had never given me that answer before so I tucked it away.  The week before June 12th, she had swimming lessons, and she probably brought it up to me 2-3 times about being baptized and wanting to do that.  I remember asking her why she wanted to be baptized, and she said b/c she wanted to be saved.  I explained that baptism doesn't save, and again went through the Gospel.  I asked her if she had ever been saved, and she said no.  This is the first time she had ever answered no. Friday night after putting the kids to bed,  Tim and I got Megan up to talk to her . We truly felt like the Lord was working in her life in the area of salvation.  Tim talked to her once again that night about the Gospel, and that night she asked Jesus to save her from her sin.

I am so thankful that the Lord seemed to work in her heart in the area of her salvation. It is our prayer that she will grow in her understanding of the Gospel and develop a deep love for the Lord and others.

A picture to go with the week that the Holy Spirit really worked in her life....We had some great talks about the Gospel going to and from swimming lessons.  

No comments: