Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Update

It is definitely time for another update! December was a full month as we celebrated my(Kristen) birthday, celebrated Christmas , held 3 teen activities, etc. and of course, enjoyed Megan!!

The first event was my birthday. For my birthday, my mom babysat Megan (of course she was so excited to do so!) Tim made reservations to an Italian restaurant called Sweet Basil and surprised me with that. (Sweet Basil is where Tim and I went back in 2005 when we were dating and he was meeting my parents...it is Wichita's most romantic restaurant!). Then we rented a movie and watched it at our house with Megan still at my parent's house. It was so nice to have a date night. I was ready to see Megan though when it was over. Her Nana said she was a very good girl ( I do not think she would say otherwise no matter what!)

We also were very busy with teen activities. Our first activity was caroling. It was a very cold night, but we had a good turnout for this event. Afterwards, we had hot chocolate at the church and did the white elephant gift exchange. The second event was making gingerbread houses and watching Elf! The teens were very creative with their gingerbread houses...all different shapes and sizes. The third activity was the New Years Eve party. We had all the teens come to our apartment! We ate, played games, and played the wii. All the activities were a lot of fun and we had good turnouts for them!

For Christmas, we opened gifts at my parents house on Christmas eve! Then on Christmas, my Grandparents (the Riffels) came for the day. WE enjoyed a good meal, putting together a puzzle, and playing Apples to Apples. The next day, we did our own Christmas at our house. We enjoyed that day so much because Tim was off work!!! So we opened gifts, went shopping, then went out for supper!! It was such a fun day! (Megan was so good all day shopping...we probably shopped for like 3 hours or something from store to store. Then as we went out to a nicer restaurant,and of course then she started getting fussy:( I told Tim we could not complain too much because she was so good the rest of the time. Tim walked Megan around while I ate, and vice versa...needless to say, not the most quality time we have ever gotten, but I at least other's peoples meals were not interrupted by a crying baby. She enjoyed being walked around and was quiet at least!)

As for a Megan update...she is getting quite big. She is smiling quite a bit and cooing so much! We are really enjoying her! At 9 1/2 weeks, she was 11.5 pounds and 24 inches! She is wearing some 3-6 month outfits as she is getting too long for some of her 0-3 month outfits. She seems to like it when we sing to her as she attempts to sing with us(at least I call it trying to sing..it is so cute!) She loves her swing and chair that she sits in! We are trying to introduce her to her toys as well, but all she does at this point is stare! She is also letting us know much more when she does not like something...wow! She is still adjusting to going to sleep on her own (and so are we!). We have been working at this for a while. We are hoping one day, she makes progress in this area so we do not have to hear the crying so much...once she is asleep though, she sleeps great. We are still loving being parents and would not trade it for the world!


8 comments:

Karis said...

I am so laughing at the picture of Karen laying liking Megan was sleeping. I always thought it was funny when my girls slept like that -- and they both did.

She'll figure out the settling herself to sleep when you put her down without crying! You're doing great and it's a blessing that you can say once she goes to sleep, she sleeps well. She is such a cutie!

Oh and that happened to us too at a restaurant after Kayla was born. She was probably three weeks old and had basically been sleeping for three weeks. Whenever we went out, we hardly knew she was there. This time, though, we were at 3 Amigos, and she got upset about something. She wouldn't sleep. She didn't want to eat. She just wanted to be walked around. So, we did the same thing as you guys. I ate chips while Dan walked. Then Dan ate chips while I walked. Then our meals came and we ate in shifts then too. We just didn't know what to do with her -- she had never been upset like that. What a memory.

Adam Blumer said...

Hey, Kristen. How can I contact you? E-mail address? Feel free to send me a note at adam@blumer.org. Would love to connect better. Would you like to receive my novel newsletter? Thanks.

kellyH said...

sounds like a very fun & busy december! I love the name "sweet basil"! hope she gets the sleep thing down soon!

Bethany said...

Glad to see you blogged again, Kristen! Sounds like it was a busy but good month and you're learning a lot about being a good mom. Have you enjoyed the Baby-Wise book.

Amanda said...

Sounds like you had a great month!

Working with the teens, I see how Apples to Apples and the wii comes in handy!

Megan is adorable. Your story of the restaurant sounds familiar - I think we have all gone through that at least once in our parenthood!

jeileenbaylor said...

So glad things are going well. She is such a cutie and I am so glad that you guys were able to get out for a nice date night :)

Anonymous said...

Dad V, says

Kristen,

I enjoyed your blog and can attest by my eyes that Megan is growing very fast. She gets so much attention at church and is a very loved baby. I am on the second part of my three part blog responses for the day. You did mention that I had been slow to respond and I know that when I respond I have three to do. My responses are not so important, but need to treat all somewhat equally. I have less to do with no blogs from Karen or James. I will soon be two thirds the way done and mark off another of my to do list things. This is quicker than cleaning off my desk. Have an enjoyable time with Megan to liven up the day or night (at times). Enjoy the little days with Megan for she will grow older very quickly,

Love,

Dad V

Renee Wilson said...

Thanks for your comment on our blog, Kristen! Your baby girl is adorable. Congratulations!! It's good to keep up with you too.