Monday, September 24, 2007

A Few Unshed Tears

Today I started my new schedule at work which means I was off today. It is so wonderful to get a three day weekend. I decided that I would go out with Katrina Hines to Sweethaven (my old school) to go to volleyball practice with her and have some fun with my old volleyball girls. It was a little weird turning into the parking lot. After driving there for three years in a row, I had not been there since May. So as I arrived, I saw Mrs Joungblood (3rd grade teacher and a great friend of mine. She was always a wonderful help to me especially when I started) outside for recess so I went out and said hey to her. (The 4th grade class was out as well.) When I got outside, many of the kids recognized me (although I had not had any in my previous classes), and ran up shouting Miss Varner, hi and giving me hugs. When I went inside the building to see my students from last year, I got so many hellos and hugs. I missed them so much. I wanted to be able to talk to them and see how each of them were doing. They all wanted to know if I liked marriage and see my rings, and asked where I worked, and such. They wanted to know if we lived with the snake and how the snake was doing. (Luckily Tim got rid of the snake and he does not reside with us!!) IT was so much fun just to see my kids even for 5 minutes. I also saw some of my kids from 2 years ago. Then I was able to participate in practice with my old volleyball girls. It was just so much fun. I miss being able to coach and have the connections with the older group of girls. They were definitely so much fun to work with and a very teachable team the last two years and improved so much in volleyball. (Heather Dunn, I am expecting a comment from you. I know you read my blog, and now I am talking your wonderful volleyball team!!) It made me a little sad that I was not teaching and coaching again and having my own kids again this year. But in the end, like I always tell people, I definitely enjoy teaching much more than my new job, BUT I definitely treasure the time I get to spend with Tim and I definitely enjoy it MUCH MORE than teaching. If I could teach 4th grade night class from 3-11 at night, I would definitely do that, but since that will never work, I will be thankful to the Lord for His provision of a job that fits Tim schedule. Also, I am so thankful to have ended teaching 4th grade last year on a great note. I had 3 wonderful years at Sweethaven, had the best classes, and would not have asked for more. I really see the Lord's hand in making last year of my teaching to be my last year!! He knew exactly what was best for me/us.

6 comments:

T.J. and Shannon said...

Sounds like you had a great time visiting all your old students. I'm glad that you have a work schedule that allows you to see Tim more.

Karis said...

I would do like you did in choosing the work hours that give you more time with your hubby even if it means you don't like the job as well -- I am so glad God gave you a job where that could happen. Hang in there and remember that even if you are at HSBC for 2 or 3 years, it's still temporary. Those five years I worked when Dan was in school seem like a blink now that I'm past that stage of life!

So glad you could visit Sweethaven today. Oh, and don't worry about not being able to Skype tonight. We had a full evening as well.

Country Meadows Sews said...

Hi Mrs. Armstrong, thanks for the comment. It is really neat being able to get back in touch with you guys and see how your life is going. You said you are working at HSBC what do you do? By the way congratulations on your marriage!! I'm sure Tim is a great guy and I wish you guys the best.

Don & Katrina Hines said...

Thanks for coming with me! It was a such a great time and I enjoy just having one more set of eyes to watch for me and another set of lungs to instruct the girls! Boy, I miss your assistance! You were the best Assistant Coach a girl could ask for! I am echoing your praising of God's timing as well! I am so glad that last year was my last!

Anonymous said...

hey! Coach Hines told me to look at your blog because you left something special for me.hah...so..im leaving you a comment...miss you bunches!!

Tiffany Wagner said...

oh, that's such a nice update. It's always fun to go back and see kids, especially when they attack you with hugs!
I'm sure you miss them, but that is very cool how God has provided for you and Tim!